This versatile recipe for both waffles or pancakes isn’t just scrumptious however wholesome too. Pecans provide antioxidants that will assist promote coronary heart well being and are a wealthy supply of vitamin E. By skipping the syrup and changing it with recent berries, this dish gives one other supply of highly effective antioxidants, plus fiber!
1 cup entire wheat flour
½ cup quick-cooking oats
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ cup unsalted pecans, chopped
2 giant eggs, separated (for pancakes, see notice)
1 ½ cup fat-free milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups recent strawberries, rinsed, stems eliminated and lower in half
1 cup recent blackberries, rinsed
1 cup recent blueberries
1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Mix flour, oats, baking powder, sugar and pecans in a big bowl.
- Mix egg yolks, milk and vegetable oil in a separate bowl, and blend properly.
- Add liquid combination to the dry components and stir collectively. Don’t overmix; combination needs to be a bit lumpy.
- Whip egg whites to medium peaks. Gently fold egg whites into batter (for pancakes, see notice beneath).
- Pour batter into preheated waffle iron, and cook dinner till the waffle iron mild indicators it’s performed or steam stops popping out of the iron.
- Add recent fruit and lightweight dusting of powdered sugar to every waffle, and serve.
Tip: For pancakes, don’t separate eggs. Combine entire eggs with milk and oil, and remove steps four and 5.
Makes four servings.
Serving measurement: three small (2-inch) or 1 giant (6-inch) waffle or pancake
Whole Fats: 11 g
Saturated Fats: 2 g
Protein: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 50 g
Sodium: 331 mg
Added Sugars: 1.5 grams
Dietary fiber: 2 g
Ldl cholesterol: 107 mg
Supply: Preserve the Beat – Coronary heart Wholesome Recipes from the Nationwide Coronary heart, Lung, and Blood Institute