Whereas most people who get COVID-19 are able to get higher at dwelling, the push is on to find a treatment that’s safe and environment friendly in opposition to extreme, life-threatening circumstances of the sickness.
Correct now, hospitals can present supportive handle people who get severely sick with COVID-19. This suggests giving them oxygen to help them breathe and treating quite a few the indicators or issues that COVID-19 causes. Nonetheless there’s no drug that’s acknowledged to concentrate on the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, or the physique’s response to that virus.
Nonetheless, specialists in laboratories and hospitals the world over are engaged on this, says infectious sickness specialist Kristin Englund, MD. Tons of of analysis are exploring whether or not or not utterly totally different medicine will assist of us with COVID-19.
Medication throughout the headlines
Whereas social media is ripe with rumors about miracle cures, it’s best to know that nothing is in the mean time FDA licensed as safe and environment friendly for stopping or treating COVID-19.
Proper right here’s a take a look at quite a few the medicine you may be listening to about:
- Remdesivir: The FDA is allowing hospitals to current this antiviral treatment to victims who’re severely sick with COVID-19, regardless that it has not however been FDA licensed for this purpose. The corporate made this selection primarily based totally on early evaluation displaying that the drug may help velocity up restoration for hospitalized COVID-19 victims. Further trials are underway.
- Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine: These medicine are used to cope with malaria and some autoimmune points. They’re in the mean time being examined to see within the occasion that they might probably be environment friendly in opposition to COVID-19, nonetheless proof to date is restricted. There’s moreover no proof that they must be used to forestall COVID-19. In precise truth, there are strong warnings from the FDA in opposition to this use attributable to extreme safety risks, Dr. Englund says.
- Ciclesonide (Alvesco): As of now, there isn’t high-quality proof displaying that this bronchial bronchial asthma treatment is environment friendly in of us with COVID-19. Nonetheless scientific trials are testing whether or not or not it would help in mild circumstances.
- Acetazolamide: There’s in the mean time no scientific proof displaying that this drug used for altitude sickness and totally different conditions is environment friendly in opposition to COVID-19.
- N-acetylcysteine: Whereas this drug is used to cope with totally different respiratory diseases, there isn’t proof that it’s environment friendly in treating COVID-19.
- Ivermectin: This drug used to cope with parasite infections confirmed promise in opposition to coronavirus in lab analysis, nonetheless there are in the mean time not scientific trials displaying that it’s environment friendly in folks with COVID-19.
- Arbidol: There isn’t high-quality proof that this antiviral medicine used to cope with the flu is environment friendly in opposition to COVID-19.
- Cetylpyridinium chloride: Whereas this germ-killing ingredient is current in some mouthwashes and totally different dental hygiene merchandise, there are in the mean time no analysis displaying that it would forestall or cope with COVID-19.
- Clofazimine: There are no analysis displaying that it’s environment friendly in opposition to the 2019 novel coronavirus.
- Favipiravir: Though this antiviral medicine is permitted in China and Japan to cope with influenza, there’s to date not any high-quality proof displaying that it actually works in opposition to COVID-19. It’s being studied in various scientific trials.
- Guaifenesin (Mucinex): Some docs might counsel this over-the-counter cough medicine to help with mild indicators of COVID-19, nonetheless it obtained’t do one thing to cope with the underlying virus.
- Antibiotics: Antibiotics work in opposition to bacterial infections, not viral infections like COVID-19. There’s no proof to assist any claims that taking antibiotics or rubbing topical variations of them (just like Neosporin) in your nostril will forestall or cope with COVID-19.
- Prazosin: Prazosin is a drug used to cope with hypertension. There’s in the mean time no proof that it’s environment friendly in treating COVID-19 victims.