Corn on the cob may be a summer time season staple nonetheless all the salt and butter we slather on it is going to probably truly do a amount on our nicely being. If you’re clamoring for corn on the cob this summer time season why not get ingenious and check out these extra wholesome, additional mouthwatering recipes which is perhaps assured to up your summer time season grill sport.
Dietitian Anna Taylor, RD, has created a dozen style sensations that convert plain outdated corn on the cob as a aspect dish into the precept attraction. Plus, you’ll be pleased with dressing up these golden kernels with substances which is perhaps additional health-friendly for you and your whole family. (Sorry, butter and salt — you’ve been modified!)
Corn is nice for you
One plain ear of corn has solely 100 power and just about 3g of fiber — which is nice in your digestive tract and should enable you’re feeling fuller longer. It moreover accommodates some very healthful phytonutrients like lutein and zeaxanthin, which can be antioxidants that assist eye nicely being.
It’s what you excessive it with that makes it unhealthy. As an illustration one tablespoon of butter moreover has 100 power, to not level out 7g of saturated fat (which clogs arteries and would possibly improve ranges of ldl cholesterol). Moreover, additional salt consumption can contribute to hypertension and coronary coronary heart sickness.
By switching up the traditional toppings of salt and butter to some additional healthful (and thrilling) style combos, you’ll glean the dietary benefits of this tasty vegetable whereas moreover holding your type buds snug. Attempt them on or off the cob!
Attempt these sweet, savory, tangy and spicy recipes
- Low-sugar fruit chutney cooked with diced strawberries, cherries or oranges with vinegar and chiles.
- Low sodium MSG-free teriyaki sauce.
- Powdered cinnamon, cumin, coriander, oregano, ginger, pepper, ground clove and olive oil.
- Basil-lemon pine nut pesto.
- Guacamole with mashed avocado and lime with small diced tomatoes and scallion.
- Olive oil, rosemary, thyme, parsley, and black pepper.
- Lowered-fat feta, chili powder and a squeeze of lime.
- Olive oil, oregano, basil, plain greek yogurt, feta and diced pink onion.
- Salsa made with minced pink onion, tomato, bell pepper and cilantro (add black beans for additional fiber).
- Olive oil, lime, oregano, chili powder, paprika, garlic, onion, black pepper and cumin.
- Creamy selfmade soy or low-fat yogurt-based wasabi sauce.
- Cob curry made with pure peanut butter, canola oil, chickpea flour, greek yogurt, turmeric and pink chile.
“It might be onerous to kick these less-healthy, go-to recipes we’re additional accustomed to,” Taylor says. “Nevertheless each time you make small modifications to find extra wholesome however equally as satisfying decisions like this — you’re setting your self up for a lifetime of increased consuming habits for you and your family members.”